Entry-Level Mechanical Engineer - Combustion Turbine Generating Plants
Xcel Energy is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to provide reliability engineering expertise in our Combined and Simple Cycle Gas plants. This position may be filled at the entry-level, staff, or senior level. This position will be based at Black Dog Plant in Burnsville, MN but will be expected to travel to other plants in Minnesota and South Dakota up to 25% of the time.
Please note that at this time we will only consider applications from candidates who have graduated with their Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering as we are looking to fill this position immediately. Preference will be given to current and former Xcel Energy interns, but all interested individuals who meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to apply.
Preference will be given to candidates with power plant experience, especially combustion turbine/combined cycle gas plants. Proficiency in SAP is desirable. Experience in support of operations and maintenance of industrial/manufacturing processes is preferred. Additional experience in maintenance of pumps, condensers, turbines, air compressors, and heat recovery steam generators would be ideal.
This is an entry level position designed to develop technical expertise in a particular area of specialty. Performs work that involves conventional types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures or equipment with relatively few complex features for which there are precedents. Activities are of limited scope requiring knowledge of principles and techniques commonly employed in the specific narrow area of assignments. May lead small-medium, non-critical projects and/or provide field oversight of critical projects under direction of higher level engineer or supervisor. Work is reviewed for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy and accuracy. As proficiency is gained, may work on portions of larger projects. Works under supervision and follows established procedures. May supervise or coordinate the work of interns, drafters, craft personnel, technicians and/or others.
- Uses and applies technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to perform activities/assignments of limited scope.
- Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.) Utilizes and may assist with the development of procedures.
- Provides ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, Testing/diagnostics, Regulatory, etc. May provide field engineering oversight for activities such as commissioning, testing, inspections etc. under direct supervision.
- Coordinates/leads projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement support, installation and commissioning), under the direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor.
- Under the direction of a higher level engineer/supervisor, supports bid/evaluation processes by performing basic analysis and calculations on existing documentation and materials that support the preparation of bid documents. In completing segments of technical evaluations for proposals may need to effectively communicate with other business areas of the company following appropriate processes.
- Effectively exchanges information in all formats, on matters having a wide range of importance and complexity both inter-organizationally and with outside customer/vendors.
- May coordinate the work of interns, drafters, technicians, and/or others and provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self development of technical skills and competencies.
- May perform activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 0+ years relevant engineering experience
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) preferred