By joining the Department of Economic Development, you will be part of a team of professionals committed to growing Nebraska. As an attorney in our incentive division, you will be directly responsible for providing legal support for several of our state's economic incentive programs. You will gain in-depth knowledge of Nebraska's tax laws while also helping to navigate complex business transactions. Your day to day work will include drafting agreements, reviewing administrative procedures, and providing advice on program rules and regulations. At the Department of Economic Development we offer a dynamic work environment and are committed to providing you with work life balance.
301 Centennial Mall South PO Box 94666 Lincoln, NE 68509-4666
8-5 M-F. Looking for work/life flexibility? We've got you covered! A flexible schedule may be available.
Examples of Work
• Assisting with interpretation and administration of the ImagiNE Nebraska Act, Key Employer and Jobs Retention Act, Renewable Chemical Production Tax Credit Act, and Nebraska Transformational Projects Act.
• Conducting complex and varied research in certain areas of taxation and related subject matters.
• Drafting contracts, amendments, agreements, guidance documents and other legal memos.
• Providing legal opinions, advice and recommendations to the Director, Deputy Directors, and staff.
• Promulgating rules and regulations for incentive programs.
• Corresponding with businesses to answer incentive related questions.
• Responding to public records requests.
• Perform related work as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: One year of experience as an attorney practicing law and providing legal services such as preparing cases, advising clients, and/or interpreting laws or administrative policies, must be admitted to the Nebraska Bar.
PREFERRED: This position must have a Juris Doctorate and a valid license to practice law in Nebraska
• Two years of experience as an attorney practicing law and providing legal services such as preparing and trying cases, advising clients, and/or interpreting laws or administrative policies.
• Experience working with Nebraska and US tax codes and current Nebraska tax incentive programs.
• The applicant should attach a law practice related writing sample.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: The techniques of preparing and drafting of legal documents and forms; judicial procedures and rules of evidence; the principles and practices of legal research; the procedures of trial and administrative hearings; state and/or federal statutory and case law and constitutional provisions pertinent to agency programs; the principles and practices of criminal and civil law administration. Skills in: Preparing summaries, legal analyses, findings and conclusions, briefs and other legal documents; negotiating and communicating with others sufficient to persuade their acceptance of contentious goals or viewpoints; analyzing and interpreting various factors, perspectives, and options and applying critical thinking to resolve issues. Ability to: Prepare & communicate in person and in writing the facts and arguments of a case to persuade others to accept the viewpoint presented; work collaboratively as part of a team; interact collaboratively and respectfully with other attorneys and teammates within DOR, other governmental employees, the public, and representatives of parties involved in a case; formulate legal opinions and recommendations based on legal research and investigations; conduct legal research and investigations; identify critical elements of legal questions or issues; prepare/draft legal documents and forms; interpret and apply statutes, case law, decisions of courts and administrative tribunals, and administrative rules and policies.