Senior Systems Analyst and Designer
To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers' compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
This position is with the Information Technology and Research (IT&R) Section of the Central Services Division. IT&R provides a broad range of specialized technical services in the areas of information systems, data analysis/dissemination, and computer/telecommunication services for a large, diverse agency. The staff support the collection, processing, analysis, and dissemination of statewide and regional data about workers' compensation, accident prevention, insurance, financial institutions, corporate securities, building codes, and senior health insurance benefits. The section supports a number of critical systems to meet the regulatory requirements for each program and interact with other state and federal agencies.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Salem, Oregon
Here’s what you will do:
As the Senior Systems Analyst and Designer, you will, as part of the WCD’s Modernization Program, gather and/or clarify business requirements; analyze and design new data system components; analyze and design modifications to existing data system components, and install data system components. You will also conduct analysis of business processes and workflows to design data system components, data conversion strategies and relational databases.
For a complete listing of the duties and responsibilities of this position, please review the position description by clicking here.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
- Six (6) years of information systems experience in systems analysis and design;
- An Associate's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field, OR completion of a two (2) year accredited vocational training program in information technology or related field; AND four (4) years of information systems experience in systems analysis and design;
- A Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field AND two (2) years of information systems experience systems analysis and design;
- A Master's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field.
- A profound understanding of the importance of teamwork
- Good communication skills: Written, oral, presentation and nonverbal
- Experience serving as a project leader to guide systems through SDLC
- Expertise in the design and programming of computer applications in a team-oriented environment
- Expertise on Data modeling and data architecture best practices
- Ability to train and mentor junior staff
Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
How to apply:
- To apply for this position, click on the "Apply" button to fill out all information in the online application and complete the questionnaire. Failure to do so may result in your application being removed from consideration.
- A resume is required for this job posting. Please attach it in the “Resume / CV” section of the application.
- Only complete applications received by the posted application deadline date will be considered.
After you apply:
- Log in to your Workday account before the job announcement closes to see if you have any pending tasks or actions, and make sure to complete these tasks or actions before the job announcement closes. These can be found under the “My Applications” section.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Please save a copy of this job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job closes.
- You may be asked to submit a skills assessment, a writing sample, or a video interview as part of the application screening process.
- This position is subject to a fingerprint background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.
- Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. NOTE: If claiming veterans’ preference please be sure to check your Workday account for pending tasks or actions under your “My Applications” section.
- We hire preferred workers! For more information, please visit our website: Preferred Worker Program.
- The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) does not offer VISA sponsorships. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States. DCBS will use E-Verify to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States.
Helpful links and contact information:
Learn more about DCBS
Help and Support webpage
For more information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.