Social Services and Outreach Coordinator Intern Fall 2021 (English)
We're looking for Fall interns to join our remote team!
Our Social Services & Outreach Coordinators play a pivotal part in building the world's first tech resource platform designed for LGBTQ+ people fleeing persecution. Our Social Services & Outreach Coordinator interns work remotely to maintain and efficiently grow the AsylumConnect platform. In this virtual role, you will focus on verifying new safe services in the United States for inclusion in our resource app and help to ensure our U.S. resource data remains up-to-date. This is an exciting opportunity to improve your research and outreach skills while enhancing your knowledge of LGBTQ+ rights, immigration law and policy, and the social services sector. We’re looking for meticulous, hard-working students who are passionate about LGBTQ+ equality, immigrant rights, and leveraging technology for social good.
- Report to our Resource Coordinator (U.S.).
- Complete a comprehensive virtual training program designed to enhance interns' knowledge of LGBTQ+ rights, LGBTQ+ terminology, immigration law and policy, and the double marginalization of LGBTQ+ asylum seekers.
- Call and email organizations in the U.S. to verify their fit for the AsylumConnect Catalog.
- Research new LGBTQ+ affirming and immigrant-friendly organizations in the U.S. to include on AsylumConnect.
- Additional ad hoc resource and outreach tasks (as needed).
- Obtained or pursuing a bachelor’s or graduate degree (e.g. B.A., B.S., M.S.W., J.D., M.S.).
- Fluent in English.
- The flexibility to call organizations in the U.S. during local business hours.
- You are comfortable using online communication tools (e.g. G Suite, Slack, Asana, Telzio).
- The ability to follow instructions and work independently in a remote environment.
- You are reliable, meticulous, and appreciate the value of deadlines.
- Willingness to learn in-depth about the AsylumConnect Catalog and our tailored resource verification process.
- Previous experience in the social services sector is a plus.
Schedule & Compensation: We’re looking for interns to join us for Fall 2021 (Tuesday, September 7– Friday, December 3, 2021), with a commitment of 10-30 hours per week, Monday – Friday.
*Note: This internship is remote and unpaid. Interns may also extend the internship into the Spring Semester 2021.
Sample Internship Benefits:
- Undergo an extensive virtual training program where interns learn in-depth about the state of LGBTQ+ rights, LGBTQ+ terminology, immigration law and policy, and the double marginalization of LGBTQ+ asylum seekers.
- Gain hands-on experience working with an international NGO and directly communicating with service providers on the ground.
- Connect to professionals in NGOs across North America.
- Enhance your understanding of the social services sector.
- Gain practical experience in the migration and human rights sector.
- Professional development opportunities, including resume reviews and virtual coffee chats with AsylumConnect staff and volunteers.
- Interns will also have the opportunity to receive a letter of reference from AsylumConnect upon successful completion of the internship.
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.