Transportation Project Manager (Local Agency Liaison/Coordinator)
Construction Project Manager 2 – Transportation Project Manager (Local Agency Liaison/Coordinator)
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Region 1
Project Services Section/Local Agency Unit
Portland (Remote work available)
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visit our COVID-19 webpage for more information.
Do you want to manage transportation projects from cradle to grave, working with the planning, preliminary engineering, construction and closeout phases? In this role, you will support federally funded local city and county transportation projects in the greater Portland metro area.
ODOT Region 1 is a remarkable technical team of creative, diverse individuals who are passionate about providing safe and efficient multimodal transportation systems in the Portland metro area. Our project delivery team is committed to meeting the demands of our growing metro area community and transportation system. Our local agency liaisons work closely with a wide network that includes local government agencies, consultants and the public.
Some of the key responsibilities of this position are:
- Managing a suite of multimodal transportation projects through design and construction
- Managing consultant and contractor teams - ensuring design packages are delivered on schedule and within budget.
- Identifying and managing project risk and ensuring project standards are met.
- Ensuring projects are delivered in accordance with Federal funding requirements.
- Using change management processes to obtain commitments, resolutions, and agreements on critical project issues.
- Working closely with partners and stakeholders to resolve challenges and communicate impacts related to project construction.
This recruitment is to augment the candidate pool generated by job announcement REQ-70291. If you have previously applied for this position, you do not need to reapply. Names of qualified applicants will remain on the list for further consideration.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
We are recruiting for other construction project manager 2 positions in Region 1--click here to learn more about our project leader opportunity!
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Consultant Contract Development - Develop and negotiate contracts for contractor/consultant led design and/or construction projects. Represent management in the development of outsourcing contracts. Play a key role in evaluating vendor proposals. Make selection recommendations to management. Review and approve monthly contractor/vendor progress payments. Negotiate and approve contract changes.
- Portfolio Management - Manage suite of Federally-funded local agency projects l Manage consultant engineering teams. Hold meetings with contractors, consultants, and/or multiple stakeholders. Ensure design packages are delivered on schedule and within budget. Identify and manage project risk and ensure project standards are met. Use change management processes to obtain commitments, resolutions, and agreements on critical project issues. Manage the project's fiscal budgets and cash flow. Minimize the impact on the traveling public, adjacent property, and local community. Manage the project for the safety of all project personnel and members of the public. Provide written and verbal communication to stakeholders, local property owners, local government officials, and members of the media.
- Working conditions - Highly responsible position on highly visible projects with tight time schedules and limited resources. Long hours may be required, including some evening meetings. May face adversarial situations with contractors, consultants, or members of the public. Occasional contact with local officials. Occasional work outside at project sites; may be exposed to traffic hazards, construction equipment, and/or inclement weather. Flexible work environment – combination of remote and in-person work.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.state.or.us.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in dynamic downtown Portland, Oregon, with the flexibility to telecommute at least 75% of the time when you have completed training.
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
Six years of progressively responsible experience related to the class series concept.
An associate degree (or comparable course work) in architectural, construction or engineering technology AND four and one-half years of progressively responsible experience related to the class series concept.
A bachelor's degree in construction management, business administration, public administration, architecture, planning or engineering AND three years of progressively responsible experience related to the class series concept.
Please click here for the construction project manager 2 class series concept information.
Additionally, driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license, an acceptable driving record and the ability to drive are required for this position.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on September 7, 2021.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our external system which Handshake will redirect applicants to.
Questions? Call 971-345-1967 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.