Summary: Produces advanced and complex accounting services functioning as the key general ledger accountant for the agency. Involved with multiple funding sources, a large variety of accounts and development of reports describing the financial/budgetary condition of the agency or government entities reporting to the agency.
- Performs full general ledger accountings and activities.
- Ensures accuracy of the Law Offices of the Public Defender’s general ledger.
- Prepares journal entries, budget journals, operating transfers, and other entries as necessary for appropriate tracking of fiscal activities.
- Prepares biweekly, monthly and quarterly reconciliations for the general ledger, payroll, Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA)/State of New Mexico benefits, accounts receivables, deposits and petty cash.
- Generates corresponding financial reporting from payroll and Human Resources system (SHARE) to provide to fiscal management.
- Communicates with external entities such as audit firm, banks, state agencies, vendors regarding financial matters on behalf of the LOPD.
- Develops, prepares and documents internal accounting, reconciliation and auditing procedures and processes for the Fiscal Department.
- Performs internal audits.
- Develops complex Excel spreadsheets for tracking and managing accounts.
- With direction from the CFO, may act as lead person for agency external audit.
- Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Note: An employee with this classification may be required to perform duties of a lower classification without additional compensation. Employee will be required to show competence in lower level support staff classifications.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Auditing or Business Administration and four (4) years directly related work experience in accounting auditing, finance and/or budgeting. Any combination of education from an accredited college or university in a related field and/or direct experience in this occupation totaling eight (8) years may substitute for the required education and experience.
Employment Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid driver's License.
Collective Bargaining: This position is not covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Default FLSA: Non-exempt
The Law Offices of the Public Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, spousal affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, political affiliation or religion, mental or physical disability, or serious medical condition.
Preference may be given to multilingual applicants fluent in English and other languages.
Please complete an application via the link in Handshake.