The Carson National Forest is seeking applicants for 2 Archeologist positions. One to serve as the East Zone Archeologist supporting the Camino Real and Questa Ranger Districts with a duty station in Penasco. The other position will serve as the Assistant Archeologist for the Forest with a duty station in Taos.
The positions are responsible for inventory, evaluation, protection and development of historic and prehistoric sites.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement the units Heritage Resource Program.
- Plan, direct, and execute surveys/excavations, for location, verification and salvage of sites.
- Evaluate sites and identify which ones are appropriate for inclusion to the national registers.
- Administer examinations, identifying areas where materials may be destroyed or damaged, and recommending mitigations.
- Develop units budget and project plan of work.
- Ensure that scientific and systematic procedures are followed in identifying, evaluating, and classifying cultural resource areas.
- Evaluate and act upon a wide range of on-site management needs within the framework of program requirements.
- Direct the preparation of maps, inventories, reports, and records related to all aspects of the program.
- Provide guidance to line management in marking, protection, and salvage of sites.
- Consult with recognized Indian Tribes under provisions of laws related to native American cultural preservation and repatriation.
- Provide technical and administrative supervision to subordinate employees.