By joining the Department of Economic Development, you will be part of a team of professionals committed to growing Nebraska. As an attorney for the Urban Redevelopment Act, you will be part of one our newest divisions in the agency. Overseeing the Urban Redevelopment Act, you will be responsible for administering our state’s tax incentive program that is designed to help small business growth in Economic Redevelopment Areas. In addition to providing legal support, you will oversee a team of individuals charged with assisting businesses who are navigating the program. As a part of the DED incentives team, you will gain in-depth knowledge of Nebraska’s tax laws while also helping to shape complex business transactions. Your day-to-day work will include interpreting laws, drafting agreements, reviewing administrative procedures, and providing advice on program rules and regulations. At DED we offer a dynamic work environment and are always striving to provide you with work life balance. Initial training will be held at the Nebraska State Office Building, 301 Centennial Mall South, Lincoln, NE for two weeks.
Before we dive into what we need, let us show off what you get!
• Workplace flexibility
• 13 paid holidays
• Vacation and sick leave equating to 24 days your first year, accruing immediately
• Military leave
• 156% (that's not a typo!) state-matched retirement
• Tuition reimbursement
• Employee assistance program
• 79% employer paid health insurance plans
• Dental and vision insurance plans
• Employer-paid $20,000 life insurance policy
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PLSF) through the Federal government
• Wide variety and availability of career advancement as the largest and most diverse employer in the State
• Opportunity to be part of meaningful work and make a difference through public service
• Training and Development based on your career aspirations
• Fun, inviting teammates
• A safe and secure environment
At the State, we stand by our core values of treating others with dignity and respect, acting ethically in all situations, and creating an environment where our customer is our top priority. Apply to join our team today!
Job location is 5913 N 30th Street, Omaha, NE
Hours: 8-5, Monday - Friday
Examples of Work
• Assisting with interpretation and administration of the Urban Redevelopment Act and other related Acts.
• Conducting complex and varied research in certain areas of taxation and related subject matters.
• Managing a team of business consultants.
• Drafting contracts, amendments, agreements, guidance documents and other legal memos.
• Providing legal opinions, advice and recommendations to the Director, Deputy Directors, and staff.
• Promulgating rules and regulations for incentive programs.
• Corresponding with businesses to answer incentive related questions.
• Responding to public records requests.
• Perform related work as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Three years of experience as an attorney practicing law and providing legal services such as preparing and trying cases, advising clients, and/or interpreting laws or administrative policies. In accordance with Section 7-101, Nebraska Revised, Reissued Statutes of l943, incumbents in this class must be admitted to the Nebraska Bar.
PREFERRED: At least two years of experience working with Nebraska and US tax codes and current Nebraska tax incentive programs; at least two years of supervisory experience.
OTHER: Must include a law practice related writing sample via attachment. Regular and reliable attendance is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: The techniques of preparing and drafting of legal documents and forms; judicial procedures and rules of evidence; the principles and practices of legal research; the procedures of trial and administrative hearings; state and/or federal statutory and case law and constitutional provisions pertinent to agency programs; the principles and practices of criminal and civil law administration. Skills in: Preparing summaries, legal analyses, findings and conclusions, briefs and other legal documents; negotiating and communicating with others sufficient to persuade their acceptance of contentious goals or viewpoints; analyzing and interpreting various factors, perspectives, and options and applying critical thinking to resolve issues. Ability to: Prepare & communicate in person and in writing the facts and arguments of a case to persuade others to accept the viewpoint presented; work collaboratively as part of a team; interact collaboratively and respectfully with other attorneys and teammates within DED, other governmental employees, the public, and representatives of parties involved in a case; formulate legal opinions and recommendations based on legal research and investigations; conduct legal research and investigations; identify critical elements of legal questions or issues; prepare/draft legal documents and forms; interpret and apply statutes, case law, decisions of courts and administrative tribunals, and administrative rules and policies.