Associate Accountant- Denver Human Services
In order to be considered for this position, apply here or at the link below:
About Denver Human Services
Denver Human Services provides support to one in three Denver residents. We envision a healthy community where people are connected, supported, safe, and well. Our services include food, cash and medical benefits, child support and veteran services, child welfare and adult protection, work opportunities, and more. If you are committed to supporting the health and strength of the community and want to be a part of an engaged workplace, we’d love to work with you!
The Financial Services Division of Denver Human Services is seeking an Associate Accountant to perform a variety of governmental accounting work that cover a broad range of professional-level accounting functions including fiscal accounting, general accounting, and reconciliations. An Associate Accountant is equivalent to an Accountant II at most other Counties and private businesses.
The successful candidate will be able to create and perform moderately complex reconciliations of authorized County expenditures. The candidate must be able to analyze and research variances and determine what action needs to be taken to correct any problems or issues that may arise, with little supervision. The candidate will need to understand governmental accounting work, be able to efficiently multi-task, and learn the various programs related to the different types of grants and federal funds. Excellent communications skills are necessary due to the breadth and depth of customer interface both within and outside of the department.
Overall, the Associate Accountant:
- Receives direct supervision from an Accounting Supervisor of the Financial Services Division
- Performs routine to moderately complex reconciliations, ledger maintenance, journal entries, and inventory controls
- Reviews transactions for proper processing, coding, documentation and compliance with Uniform Guidance
- Assists with annual inventory verification and research
- Assists with compiling documents for audits; creates schedules as needed
- Assists the General Accounting Unit to review transactions, review processes, define and implement standards
- Uses manual and automated methods to prepare routine to complex revenue/expense reports, balance sheets and financial statements
- Recommends and coordinates the implementation of policies and procedures for assigned functions and assists in developing new policies and procedures
- Modifies documents and coordinates the implementation of accounting control procedures
- Communicates with department heads and other personnel in the Human Services agency and external customers
- Assists division co-workers to complete special projects, as assigned
- Reviews financial transactions to ensure compliance with applicable rules and regulations
- Performs other finance related duties as assigned or requested
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A Baccalaureate Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field, including a minimum of 15 semester hours in accounting courses
- At least two years of previous professional accounting work with experience in reconciliations, trial balance reviews, and understanding expense documentation requirements
- Previous experience with Human Services finance, accounting, business practices, and procedures
- Strong knowledge of or ability to learn county and state computer systems, including CFMS, CBMS, Workday, Enterprise Cashier, Trails
- Proficient Microsoft Office skills; Excel, Word, and Access
- Previous experience working with Federal, state, or local grants. Including reviewing federal and state rules/regulations, reviewing allowable expenditures, collecting and consolidating financial information, and managing drawdowns
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration
- Experience: One (1) year of professional level accounting experience reconciling accounting discrepancies, analyzing expenditures, and preparing financial reports
- Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements
To be considered for this position, you must include a cover letter with your application that addresses the following questions (upload the attachment(s) to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab):
- Why you are interested in this position?
- Why you are interested in working at Denver Human Services?
- The most relevant skills, experience, and training that qualify you for this position
About Everything Else
CV2461 Accountant Associate
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$57,860.00 - $95,469.00
$58,000.00 - $65,000.00/year, based on education and experience.
Denver Human Services
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.