Outreach and Enrollment AmeriCorps Member
We are seeking individuals who are passionate about serving immigrant communities. In this role, you will be doing outreach to communities to let people know about new health insurance benefits for Coloradans regardless of immigration status; including DACA recipients and undocumented folks. You will also work one on one with individuals and enroll them on a health insurance plan. Members will be placed with a Connect for Health Colorado Assister Site. No need to have experience in health insurance. Bilingual in Spanish is preferred but not required.
In order to be hired for this role, you will have to become an AmeriCorp Member.
Please reach out with any questions
- Become Certified Health Coverage Guides through Connect for Health Colorado by October 15th.
- Assist consumers in completing the application for health coverage.
- Work with the host site on an outreach campaign for the local community.
- Community outreach activities include: cold call and email outreach to health care organizations throughout the state, creating outreach materials, and researching new ways to reach more people in the community.
- Reporting and tracking all outreach and enrollment activities
Members must be: 18 years old and up; a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or legal permanent resident of the United States; be a self-starter; be motivated and committed to serving immigrant populations in Colorado.
Must become an AmeriCorps Member. We will assist you with the process if you are unfamiliar with it.
Must commit to program dates (July 10th, 2022 - April 18thth, 2023)
Monthly stipend of $2,100
- Strong interpersonal skills as you will be working with members of the public and people from different communities
- Knowledge of Government eligibility requirements for health insurance assistance programs
- Experience working with low-income families
- Knowledge about community resources
- Ability to recognize and support cultural, language, and learning differences
- Ability to explain and summarize detailed concepts
- Kind, warm and friendly demeanor
- Punctual, professional, and responsible
- Self-motivated, reliable, and self-directed; ability to work well independently and meet deadlines and goals
- Passionate and committed to serving immigrant and refugee populations.
- Fluency in Spanish is highly preferred but not required
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is this program?
You will help us spread the word about new subsidies available for folks without documentation to sign up on a state-subsidized health insurance plan and from November to January, you will be meeting with consumers one on one to enroll them on an insurance plan.
- Why is this a big deal?
DACA participants and folks who do not have documentation have extremely limited options when it comes to access to health care. Insurance plans without any federal or state subsidies are unaffordable. This will allow a lot of people to get healthcare when they haven't been able to do so before. Our goal is to enroll 10,000 undocumented Coloradans in subsidized health insurance coverage for the 2023 benefit year.
- Do I need to have prior health insurance knowledge?
Although preferred, you do not need to have a background in health insurance. You will have all the training and materials you need to go out in the community confidently.
- Am I going to have to memorize all the insurance plans in order to explain it to consumers?
No. You will not choose an insurance plan for the consumer. All you are going to do is explain what the consumer’s options are. The consumer is who ultimately makes the decision to enroll in a plan.
NOTE: This position is for AmeriCorp, if you are interested in applying for this position please click here.