Trade & Investment Officer, Healthcare and Life Sciences - San Francisco
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
Department for International Trade (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
Be a part of the Department for International Trade’s mission to drive more trade and investment between North America and the UK. With a mature, high-spending consumer market and an open, liberal economy, world-class talent and a business-friendly regulatory environment, the UK is the leading destination for foreign investment in Europe, the second highest investment destination in the world, and the world’s sixth largest exporter and the second largest services exporter.
Based in San Francisco the Trade & Investment Officer for Healthcare and Life Sciences will proactively identify opportunities in the US for market ready UK companies to achieve new business, and work with companies seeking to launch into, or expand in, the UK market. You will be part of the North America Healthcare and Life Sciences team providing key account management within the region in addition to providing strategic advice and assistance to companies. You will co-manage one business development associate, be a valued contributor to the San Francisco based regional team, and work closely with colleagues based around the UK.
The US Network offers a unique career enhancing opportunity and is committed to supporting its staff through a variety of benefits including generous leave, insurance packages and a highly competitive 401k programme. It also promotes a culture of flexibility to enable people to better maintain wellness through an excellent work/life balance approach that encompasses hybrid working, including working from home and flexible hours, where possible.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Provide a comprehensive account management service to key US clients in the Healthcare and Life Sciences industry (including healthcare, biotechnology, and medical devices) looking to maintain or grow their footprint in the UK.
- Successfully build and manage a pipeline of knowledge-driven projects that have the potential to bring high-value jobs and R&D to the UK.
- Assist high-growth and innovative UK companies to develop US market entry strategies and/or grow US market share; and support established UK companies in market to address any concerns around US trade policy or market access barriers.
- Forge positive relationships with US and UK business leaders, trade associations, regional healthcare providers and other key buyers/partners within the Healthcare and Life Sciences industries.
- Develop and implement high impact, targeted marketing programs and events in conjunction with stakeholder partners to build our brand awareness, promote key messaging, and showcase UK competitiveness in Life Sciences.
- Keep pace with market trends, incentives and centres of excellence in North America and the UK to identify commercial opportunities and provide informed advice to clients.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to deliver high-impact programming, including developing and hosting round tables, seminars and trade missions, and contributing to Ministerial and other VIP visit programs.
- Assist with cross-team projects to advance UK economic and trade policy goals.
- Manage one business development associate.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Co-manage 1 Trade & Investment Associate, manage events and travel budgets.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Level of language required: excellent verbal and written English
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
Essential on arrival:
• Demonstrated professional experience in a business, economic development or healthcare / life sciences role
• knowledge of the healthcare or life sciences industries and major companies
• knowledge of market trends in the US and preferably in the UK
• Excellent stakeholder management abilities
• Excellent interpersonal, presentation and networking skills
• Excellent management and collaboration skills with the ability to deliver results
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to multitask and complete work while traveling
• Driving license.
• Must be able to attend events outside of office hours and undertake travel in the US and internationally up to 20% of your time.
• An understanding of international relations and UK Government policy preferred.
As a valued member of our team, we will help you to achieve your goals through continuous professional development.
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work. *A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defense Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.
Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
16 August 2022
Higher Executive Officer (HEO)
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Americas, Caribbean & Overseas Territories
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
26 September 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The British Embassy and its US Network is committed to all employee’s ongoing learning and development needs. We actively encourage learning & development, and will develop a specific plan in collaboration with the successful candidate.
The UK Government operating in the US offers a substantial benefits package including generous leave, a choice of medical insurance, 401(k) matching up to 7%, extensive learning opportunities and a great work/life balance. Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor before they apply to a different position. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed. The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This role is 40 hours a week.
The British Embassy and its US Network embraces hybrid working, allowing its staff to typically work from home 2 or 3 times a week. We are an organization that also recognises the critical value of team work and we embrace and endorse collaboration by ensuring that all staff attend the office flexibly yet regularly.
About the Department for International Trade:
We employ over 150 people across North America, all united by our vision of a future where we champion open and fair global trading that drives growth, creates better jobs and higher wages, and improves living standards in the UK and around the world. We seek talented team members with a passion and drive to help us promote exports to North America of British goods and services, two-way investment between the UK and North America, and mutual improved market access to help grow our bilateral trade (see www.gov.uk/DIT).
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.