View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Associate - Creative/Media/Sport
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Be a part of the Department for International Trade’s mission to drive more trade and investment between North America and the UK. With a mature, high-spending consumer market and an open, liberal economy, world-class talent and a business-friendly regulatory environment, the UK is the leading destination for foreign investment in Europe, the second highest investment destination in the world, and the world’s sixth largest exporter and the second largest services exporter.
Based at the British Consulate San Francisco the Trade & Investment Associate supports the Trade & Investment Officer within the Creative, Media & Sport sector, which includes film, television, games, sports, advertising, music, immersive technology, and more. In this role you will both cultivate relationships with C-suite executives from top companies the Bay Area and Pacific Northwest while also supporting UK companies in their efforts to grow in the US market. This is an exciting opportunity to work with some of the most innovative and high profile global companies at the nexus of the world’s two leading creative economies. You will deliver objectives as part of the wider North America team with responsibility for Creative, Media & Sport as well as being a valued contributor to the San Francisco based regional team. You will also be working closely with regional colleagues based around the UK.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Identify and reach out to innovative companies in the Creative, Media & Sport sector interested in establishing or expanding operations and R&D opportunities in the UK to build pipeline of ambitious foreign direct investment projects
- Assist the Trade & Investment Officer in developing US market opportunities for a broad range of UK exporters
- Keep pace with government policy, market trends, incentives and centres of excellence in North America and the UK to identify commercial opportunities and provide informed advice to clients
- Assist in forging strong relationships with US and UK business leaders, trade associations, regional Creative, Media & Sport providers and other key buyers/partners within the Creative, Media & Sport sector.
- Assist with trade group visits and trade show events to foster economic opportunities for the UK and US
- Assist with high-profile visits, including UK Ministerial and VIP delegations through scheduling high-level meetings, organising activities, and preparing briefing materials
- Consult with clients to manage and coordinate client events
- Assist with cross-team projects to advance UK prosperity and trade policy goals
- Provide operational and administrative support including maintaining client and project databases
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a professional and helpful manner
- Ability to undertake research and follow market trends to identify new opportunities
- Excellent organisational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- An interest in, or understanding of, the Creative, Media & Sport sector.
- When circumstances permit, must be able to attend events outside of office hours and undertake travel within the US and UK up to 10% of your time
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. *A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defense Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.
Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work.
Seeing the Big Picture, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
25 August 2022
Executive Officer (EO)
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Americas, Caribbean & Overseas Territories
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
10 October 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This role is 40 hours a week, but does require set working hours each day, typically 8am-4pm. (Regular contact with colleagues in different time zones, or customer facing client work requires some core hours to be adjusted on certain days.)
The British Embassy and its US Network embraces hybrid working, allowing its staff to typically work from home 2 or 3 times a week. We are an organization that also recognises the critical value of team work and we embrace and endorse collaboration by ensuring that all staff attend the office flexibly yet regularly.
The UK Government operating in the US offers a substantial benefits package including generous leave, a choice of medical insurance, 401(k) matching up to 7%, extensive learning opportunities and a great work/life balance.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor before they apply to a different position.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.