Engineering/Physical Science Assistant III - Durango
Description of Job
About the Work Unit
This position is in CDOT’s Region 5, Durango – Materials Lab. This work unit exists to provide assurance that all of the materials incorporated in the construction of transportation projects and the work accepted by sampling and testing are in compliance with the contract specification requirement. Provide the design and construction engineering personnel with technical and engineering services in transportation materials (concrete, asphalt and soils) as it pertains to road and bridge design and construction.
About the Position
This position performs construction project assurance testing and mix verification testing in compliance with AASHTO (American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials) and CDOT laboratory procedures for soils, concrete, and hot mix asphalt.
Your duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists with applicable tests on HMA, concrete, aggregate, and soils to verify the quality of these materials.
- Assists with compiling reports and test results, using various computer programs.
- Monitors the condition of laboratory equipment and perform or recommend routine maintenance, repair, or replacement.
- Assists with scheduling, performing or overseeing periodic checks on equipment and state-wide operator round-robin testing.
- Performs Independent Assurance Testing (quality control verification) of HMA, concrete, aggregate, and soil samples on projects to ensure proper testing and sampling of the materials and that these materials comply with specifications.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Your schedule will primarily be 8:00 am – 5:00 pm work hours, Monday-Friday
- Approximately 85% spent in the field, 15% spent in the office
- Work days/hours may change depending on the project
- Night, holiday, and weekend work may be required
- Travel to construction projects is frequently required; overnight stays may be required
- Required to operate CDOT vehicles
- Required to use appropriate personal protective equipment as needed
- Required to lift up to 70 lbs
- Work in close proximity to heavy traffic
- Must be willing and be physically able to work in extreme temperatures (hot and cold), variable weather conditions, and at varying elevations up to 12,000 feet