Accountant II - General Accounting
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO CURRENT RESIDENTS OF COLORADO ONLY
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL 05:00pm ON FRIDAY , SEPTEMBER 30, 2022.
This position will have remote and hybrid workplace options available but will still be required to report to the listed address at the discretion of the supervisor and based on business need.
The Department of Labor and Employment keeps Colorado strong and competitive. We connect workers with great jobs and assist those who have been injured on the job. We help people who are unemployed through no fault of their own by providing temporary wage replacement and we ensure fair labor practices. We provide an up-to-date and accurate picture of the economy that helps in decision making. And we protect the workplace – and Colorado communities – with a variety of consumer protection and safety programs.
This is a values-driven organization, committed to accountability, agility, collaboration, and respect.
We believe in outstanding customer service, an inclusive culture, continued process improvement and in our role as a trusted and strategic partner. Recognizing that knowledgeable employees drive our success, we are seeking dedicated individuals who exhibit our shared values and our passion for quality and excellence in all we do.
Description of Job
Salary range for this position:
$2,057.08 - $2,295.69 Biweekly
$53,484.00 - $59,688.00 Annually
The Accountant II completes accounting activities to help ensure that financial activities performed are recorded accurately and timely to most effectively support the financial needs of the Finance Division and other Divisions as assigned by the Controller and/or the Deputy Controller. This position’s duties in the Accountant series includes but is not limited to:
- Approves general ledger accounting activities and reconciliations for General Financial Accounting and Grant Program Accounting including Cash, Federal, and State Grants.
- Reviews and creates journal entries
- Reviews, coordinates, and corrects CDLE quarterly and year-end diagnostic reporting to the State Controller’s Office;
- Reviews and makes entries to manage and maintain CDLE’s fixed assets and capital assets,
- Process transactions for all general accounting and some grant program expenditure, revenue, asset and liability accounts.
- OIT Billing, including reallocation to various CDLE Divisions.
- Legal Billing, including reallocation to various CDLE Divisions.
- General entering or approval of ITI/ITA transactions.
- Compiles and submits monthly, quarterly and annual reporting in a timely manner.
- This position supports general accounting and grant program needs with budgeting, procurement, payroll and banking.
- The position will monitor and report general accounting and some grant program fund allocations to ensure that the Grant Program Accountants have the most current information for decision making.
- This position provides accounting records and transactions to assure conformance to all applicable Federal, State, and Local rules and regulations.
- This position processes lease payments
- Encumbrance modification and Procurement Contracting Services Support
- Performs accounting for state and federal fiscal year-end closing activities and other related general accounting duties
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution which included 27 semester hours of accounting or auditing coursework will substitute for the degree requirement.
Additional appropriate experience will substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Additional appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for year basis.
Current, valid licensure as a CPA by the Colorado Board of Accountancy will substitute for the degree requirement.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in accounting.
Two years of professional accounting experience.
- Professional knowledge of general accounting practices and standards, including GAAP, GASB, State fiscal rules, State financial reporting, and State Auditor requirements.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office software, specifically Excel.
- Demonstrated experience working with CORE (Advantage).
- Public-sector and/or government accounting experience
- General ledger & reconciliation accounting experience
- Work experience with payroll activities, transactions, and accounting
- Performing duties similar to those assigned to the position as a classified State of Colorado employee.