Recent Graduate - Health Policy
At CMS, we believe that at the core of our organization are the employees that carry out the Agency’s vision of advancing health equity, expanding coverage, and improving health outcomes.
What's the Recent Graduates Program?
The recent graduate program is for those who have graduated, within the past two years, from a qualifying educational institution or certificate program. The recent graduate program offers career development with training and mentorship.
This one-year paid program is designed to provide an opportunity to those individuals who lack experience to participate in Federal government jobs, enabling them to develop on the job as they establish their career.
A huge perk of this program is that upon successful completion of the one-year program, you are eligible for conversion to a position with a GS-12 full-performance level.
About the role:
This position will work within health insurance policy development, research, analysis, and program development.
$38,503 - $61,227 per year
This is the BASE salary for the position. Please click here for locality pay rates.
What you'll do:
- Resolve health insurance program issues by conducting research on the problem area, analyzing the results, and making recommendations to management to resolve any problem areas.
- Engage with senior analysts and management in reviewing, analyzing, and developing program documents.
- Review, evaluate, and analyze health insurance programs for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Review draft regulations and responses to CMS' proposed regulations.
- Assist with administration of health insurance program audits.
Where we're hiring:
This is a remote position; however, the position reports to a CMS Office located in either Woodlawn, MD; Washington, DC; Boston, MA; Denver, CO; Seattle, WA; Kansas City, MO; or San Francisco, CA; on a periodic basis (e.g. 8-12 times per year). Requirements to report to the office will vary and can be discussed at the time of interview. As such, your pay will be based on your home address. For more information on locality and pay scales, please click here. Your worksite must be within the United States and you must adhere to all regulations and policies regarding remote work at CMS and in the federal government, including the signing of a remote work agreement.
To be eligible as a Recent Graduate:
- U.S. Citizenship required
- GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Individuals who within the previous 2 years, completed a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Therefore, you must have completed your educational program no earlier than September 28, 2020. Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation, begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which they completed their degrees (or certification). Therefore, veterans must have completed your educational program no earlier than September 28, 2016.
- Degree requirements must be completed during the Fall 2022 semester and the degree must be conferred by January 15, 2023.
Experience we're looking for:
1) Assisting in performing routine data studies; and 2) Working with data software, graphics software, or word processing software.
- OR -
Substitution of Education for Experience: You may substitute education for specialized experience at the GS-07 grade level by possessing at least one full year of graduate level education. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended
- OR -
Superior Academic Achievement: A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university AND one of the following provisions of superior academic achievement:
A grade-point average of "B" (3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale) for all completed undergraduate courses or those completed in the last two years of undergraduate study. For example, 2.95 is rounded to 3.0, and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9.
A grade-point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all required courses completed in your major field of study, or those required courses in your major completed in the last two years of your undergraduate study.
Rank in the upper one-third of your class in the college, university, or major subdivision.
Membership in a national honor society (other than freshman honor societies) recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.
- OR -
Combination of Experience and Education: Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements at the GS-07 grade level. The percentage of your total qualifying experience the education must equal to 100% to qualify for this grade.
You MUST apply through USAJOBS to be considered.
Come see why over 6,000 employees say CMS is their employer of choice! In addition to dynamic and exciting opportunities, CMS offers generous compensation and benefits programs, an outstanding work-life balance, and most important, the opportunity to give back to your community, state and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. For more information about careers at CMS, visit: https://go.cms.gov/Careers
Apply by 9/28/22!